Quesadillas originated in colonial Mexico. Their name combines “tortilla” and the Spanish word for cheese “queso”; so the most important part of this recipe is a good melting cheese.
200g Grated Cheese. Use a mild, white cheese such as cheddar, mozzarella or, if in South Africa, Tussers is the best option.
Pico de Gallo and Guacamole to serve.
1. Warm a tortilla on a medium heated pan.
2. Sprinkle 50g of the cheese onto the tortilla and allow it to melt slightly.
3. Add any other fillings evenly on top of the cheese and cover with another 50g of cheese.
4. Top with a second tortilla and carefully flip the stack over.
5. After a few seconds, reduce the heat and keep turning the quesadilla until the cheese melts completely.
6. Cut into slices and serve hot.