Atole is a rich, warm Mexican drink thickened with masa flour. It can be flavoured almost any way you would like – some popular options are vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, mango and berries. It’s a real treat for a rainy day…
1/4 Cup Masa Harina/Maseca
1 Tspn Cinnamon
1 1/2 Cups Water
3-4 Tbs Dark Brown Sugar
1 Cup Milk
1 Tspn Good Vanilla Extract
1. Bring a medium pot to a medium heat.
2. Add the masa harina and cinnamon and stir with a whisk until combined.
3. Slowly pour in the water while whisking vigorously to prevent lumps. (If some form, don’t panic! Just pass your atole through a sieve on the way to the mug)
4. Add the sugar and stir briskly until dissolved.
5. Add the milk and continue to stir until your atole is thick and creamy. You can add more milk if it gets too thick.
6. Stir in the vanilla and serve.