During the celebrations of Easter and Holy Week in Mexico, the streets outside the churches are filled with street vendors selling all kind of Mexican delicacies.
One of my favorite has always been CHURROS!
- Click on the + to add product to cart.
- 1 1/2 Cups Maseca (Masa Harina)
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 TBS Baking Powder
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 1/2 Cups Hot Water
- Oil for Frying
1/2 tsp cinnamon and 3 TBS Castor Sugar. Mixed Together.
1. In a large bowl mix Maseca, flour, baking powder, salt and eggs.
2. Add the hot water and mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Fill a pastry bag (with a large closed star tip) with the mixture.
4. Heat oil in a deep skillet or a deep fryer to 190*C.
5. With the nozzle of the piping bag no more than 4cm from the oil, squeeze the bag to form churros of about 15 cm long.
6. Fry 2-3 churros at a time until they are golden brown.
5. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Dust with the mix of sugar and cinnamon.
If you want a dipping sauce for these lovely fried pastries, try melting 1 tablet of Mexican Hot Chocolate over a double boiler with 250ml of cream.