More and more people are struggling with gluten intolerance and allergies. Masa Harina (Mexican nixtamalized corn flour) is naturally gluten free and a great substitute for wheat flour in many recipes. While masa harina’s lack of gluten could leave pancakes a bit flat and crumbly, we use fluffy egg-whites to give this recipe its lift.
4 Eggs. Separated.
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups Masa Harina (Maseca)
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Butter. Melted
1 1/2 Cups Milk
Pinch of Salt
Agave Syrup for drizzling
1. Put a large skillet on the stove to heat up (medium heat).
2. In a deep bowl, beat the egg whites with 4 tablespoons of the sugar until you form a soft meringue (the egg becomes white, opaque and fluffy).
3. In a separate bowl, mix the other ingredients to form a smooth batter.
4. Gently, fold the egg white mixture into the batter with a rubber spatula.
5. Lightly grease the skillet and add 1/2 cup of the batter to the skillet.
6. Cook each pancake on both sides for about 1-2 mins or until cooked through with golden-brown surfaces.
7. Serve with butter and drizzle with the agave syrup.