This mouth-watering dish comes from the state of Yucatán, Mexico. And this delicious adapted recipe belongs to my Big Brother José Manuel! – Thank you Bro!
The fried eggs are layered with a delicious variety of ingredients that makes it a fullfilling breakfast.
It is very important that all ingredients are hot at the time of assembly, so you will need to use a lot of pots and pans! And once ready, eat quickly. There is nothing worse than a cold fried egg!
The original recipe calls for fried plantains which are not easy to find in SA, so if you do….you are so lucky!
1 cup Refried Black Beans
1 can Red Enchilada Sauce
250 grs cooked ham of your choice, cut into thick cubes
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 can green peas, drained
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 plantain, sliced and fried
Oil for frying
- In a small pan, fry the onion. When transparent, add the cubes of ham. Fry slightly. Set aside.
- In separate pots, heat the beans and salsa.
- In a small skillet heat the oil. Deep fry each tortilla. Smear with a spoon full of beans and set on a serving plate.
- Fry the eggs and place on each tortilla.
- Top with the ham, peas, salsa and finish with the crumbled cheese.
- Serve immediately.