When the nights are getting colder and colder in the South African winter, what would be better to warm up the heart than a nice bowl of soup?
And even a simple Mexican lime soup calls a corn tortilla for a yummy, crunchy boost!
1 Large Chicken Breast
4 Cups Good Quality Chicken Stock
2 Limes. 1 cut in half, 1 cut into thin slices with seeds removed -for garnish.
1 Whole Jalapeño Chili. Remove seeds and membrane if you want to avoid excessive heat.
1 Tomato. Roasted, seeded, pureed and strained.
1/2 tsp, Dried Mexican Oregano
1 Tomato. Roughly chopped.
1 Packet Tortilla Strips
Fresh Coriander to Garnish.
1. Boil the chicken breast with the halved lime, the chili, the roasted tomato puree and oregano.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Once the chicken is just cooked through, remove it from the liquid and shred it.
4. Divide the chicken into 4 bowls, squeeze in the juice of the boiled lime and divide among the bowls.
5. Add the fresh,chopped tomato into each serving bowl.
6. Pour in the hot chicken stock and garnish with the sliced limes, tortilla strips and sprinkle with fresh coriander.
SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS!!!