There are hundreds of different recipes for making tamales and they all vary depending on the region. Here is another delicious recipe that uses a green tomatillo salsa base.
For a vegetarian option, substitute chicken for grilled veggies.
- Click on the + to add product to cart.
- - FOR THE FILLING:
- 1/2 kg chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 cans Green Enchilada Sauce
- -FOR THE DOUGH:
- 500 gr Masa Harina
- 250 gr vegetable shortening or lard
- 1/2 TBSP baking powder
- 1/3 TBSP salt
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 packet Corn Husks – Tamal Wrapping - soaked in water
- Mix the green enchilada sauce with the shredded chicken. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegetable shortening or lard until fluffy. Add baking powder, salt, stock and Masa Harina. Continue mixing until all ingredients are incorporated. TIP: The masa will be ready when a small ball of masa can float in a glass of water.
- To assemble the tamales: spread 2 tablespoons of masa in a corn husk. Add some chicken mix in the center of each corn husk. Fold the corn husk to wrap the tamal dough and place them vertically on the rack in a steamer pot with water.
- Cover and cook until a tamal can be peeled off easily from the husk. (Approximately 1.5 hours).