The original white Pozole (pork/chicken and hominy soup) is said to have been created in the Guerrero state, during the 18th century. Through out Mexico, there are regional variations of this dish: red or green depending on the ingredients used (red dried chillies or ground pumpkin seeds)
This is a delicious recipe, well worth the effort to make. And it is also fun as each guest gets to garnish their own plate!
Variations – pork can be eliminated and only chicken may be used or go vegetarian.
(We stock frozen hominy which is not on the website. Speak to us to make special arrangements for you)
- Click on the + to add product to cart.
- 1 whole chicken cut up
- 500 gr boneless lean pork meat
- 500 gr boneless pork leg
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 spring coriander
- 1 kg hominy from AztecA
- Cold water
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- 20 gr dry Oregano
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 5 TBSP crushedl chillies
- 10 red radishes finely sliced
- 2 avos diced
- 1 lettuce finely sliced
- 5 limes, halved
- Salsa Cholula Original
1. Place the chicken in a large pot, add the onion, garlic, 1 ts of the salt and the coriander.
2. Cover with 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, over medium heat for 20 mins or until the chicken is tender.
3. Transfer the chicken to a plate, remove the skin and bones and shred the meat. Reserve the stock. (There should be about 8 cups)
4. Place all the pork meat and remaining salt in a large pot and cover with 14 cups of water.
5. When the water comes to a boil, skim the surface and cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
6. Add the hominy and cook for another 30 minutes.
7. Remove and shred the meat, returning it to the pot.
8. Add the chicken stock and shredded chicken to the pot.
9. Correct seasoning, cover and cook over medium heat for another 20 mins. or until the hominy is tender.
10. Serve in shallow bowls.
11. Present separately all the garnish items so each guest gets to decorate their own plate.
12. Accompany with Tostadas from AztecA to make your Pozole a 100% Mexican experience!